Friday, April 20, 2012

"Healthy" Chocolate Chip Cookies

     Ok, so last night I made these health(ier) chocolate chip cookies. I adapted from this recipe to make the cookies even healthier. But not necessarily low-fat, mind you. Everything in moderation. Here is the recipe I ended up with. 

Ingredients:
     3/4 cup rolled oats, ground up (I used my food processor)
     1/4 cup flax seed
     3/4 cup wheat flour
     1/2 teaspoon baking soda
     1/2 teaspoon salt
     1/4 cup butter, softened
     1/4 cup coconut oil
     1/3 cup palm sugar
     3 TBSP Truvia
     1 egg
     1 Tsp vanilla extract
     1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F and grease cookie sheets. Mix together dry ingredients and set aside. Beat together butter, coconut oil, palm sugar and Truvia. Add egg and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and chocolate chips. 
Drop heaping spoonfuls about an inch apart on cookie sheet and bake at 350°F 12-15 minutes, until brown on the edges. Cool on cooling rack. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen. 

Notes on the changes I made. 
   Flax seed has fiber and is good for digestion. 
   Coconut oil is supposed to be one of the healthiest oils for you and may help boost your metabolism. 
   Palm sugar is absorbed by the bloodstream more slowly than other sugars and also contains a lot of nutrients. 
   Truvia (a powder form of stevia) is a natural no calorie sweetener. It is sweeter than sugar, so less is required.

*An added benefit for breastfeeding mommies is these may promote lactation. Oatmeal and flax seed are supposed to increase milk supply and coconut oil is supposed to enrich supply. You could even add fenugreek if you want, though I don't know how that would affect taste. 

*The coconut oil taste is not as strong once the cookies are baked. I don't care for the taste of coconut oil, so I didn't like the batter, which tasted strongly of it. The taste was not nearly as strong once baked. At least that way I won't be so tempted to eat the cookie dough! :-P

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I love this recipe...great, healthy ingredients!
    radeeolover at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I am always looking to see how I can eat healthier and not give up on the food I love. Thank you for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete